After performing several hardware upgrades to my mcHF I upgraded to the most recent firmware release which included a lot more calibration options than were previously available. The firmware developers have also massively improved the quality of the documentation over the last six months and I decided to re-calibrate my radio from top to bottom.
- PA Bias
- 5 Watt Power Level
- Full Power Level
- RF Power Meter Adjustment
- TX IQ Adjustment (Manual)
- RX IQ Adjustment (Automatic)
- Frequency Calibration (RX Method)
For the PA Bias calibration I found that my previous bias had been too low (400mA transmit current rise instead of 500mA), which limited my power output. With the bias properly set this time I was able to get much more power output on all bands.
To set an accurate 5 watt power level I wanted to use a power meter calibrated for this purpose since my regular meters are meant for higher power transmitters. The meter I used is a MFJ-813 which is intended for QRP use. With this meter I set the 5 watt power drive for each band and adjusted the RF power meter of the mcHF to match. Since the transmitter amplifier was now properly biased I was able to easily achieve 5 watts of output on 80-10 meters.
For the full power setting I only wanted to achieve a solid output value higher than 5 watts. To this end I only adjusted the power drive to 10 watts output for 80-15 meters, even though I could have driven it further. On 12 meters only about 8 watts was available without over driving the amplifier and on 10 meters only 6 watts. Even so this is still much better than my previous configuration which was improperly biased. This is also more power than I expected since my kit uses the standard configuration of output transformers and inductors. There are many different mods suggested by other mcHF builders to increase the power output, however, for me 10 watts on the most commonly used bands is more than enough.
The TX IQ adjustment was an interesting process involving listening to a tone generated by the mcHF on a second receiver tuned to the opposite side band. I was able to mostly null out the tone using the IQ phase and balance adjustments. While not perfect I am sure that it is better than the default settings. The RX IQ is automatic and only requires turning on the firmware setting in the menu.
Frequency calibration was also an interesting undertaking since I was using the RX method which requires a stable shortwave source to lock on to using synchronous AM. I adjusted the ppm of the receiver using three different strong stations and achieved similar results with all three so I am confident that my setting is much more accurate than the default value.