mcHF Update – New Case

I have had my mcHF for almost a year and after seeing some of the better cases available for it I decided to move on from what I had been using. Many members of the Yahoo group have used the so called “Chinese Case” which is made of formed aluminum and comes with all of the knobs, buttons, speaker, shield plate and mounting hardware necessary to put it all together. It also features nicely screen printed labels for the buttons and ports and a good overall fit and finish. I purchased one of these cases on eBay for about $150 and it took a week and a half to arrive from China.

Overall this case is fantastic! I wish I had purchased one of these when I was first building my mcHF. The vast majority of the assembly process went very smoothly, however, I did have to make a few modifications to both the case and my mcHF.

The assembly of the case is done from the back to the front. First I mounted the speaker to the case’s back plate. Then I slid the RF board into position along with the top and bottom auxiliary plates which serve as mounting points for the other case panels. The radio is then assembled as a sandwich of RF board, shield plate, and UI board using the 2.5mm screws and standoffs.

The case requires a very specific alignment for the positioning of the amplifier MOSFETs and the power regulators regarding how far they are mounted from the RF board’s surface. For my kit, the amplifier MOSFETs were perfectly positioned to align with the mounting holes, but my power regulators were a couple of millimeters too close to the board. After debating repositioning the regulators I decided instead to enlarge the screw holes and just make it work. This was accomplished with a 3/16″ drill and a small file. In the end I didn’t maul the case too badly and all of my work is hidden behind the small washers I used with the #4-40 screws that secure the devices to the case’s surface for proper heat transfer. I also had to modify the end panel with the USB and BNC ports. The alignment was slightly off and I had to enlarge the hole for the BNC a little bit using my nibbler tool and a file in order for the plate to fit over the ports properly.

Another problem that I ran into was the depth of the tactile switches supplied with the kit. The actuator for the switch is too long to allow the case to be close properly. Fortunately this type of switch comes in a variety of depths and one of the Yahoo group members had posted last year about a substitute part that works with the Chinese case. I ordered some from Mouser (CTS 222AMVBBR) and installed them on the UI board. The new switches are not only the correct depth, they are also smoother to operate. When combined with the rubbery buttons provided with the case, the operating feel of the radio is much improved from the plastic buttons and stiffer switches that I had been using.

This case is a huge upgrade over the previous one. It is better looking, better constructed and more securely holds the mcHF. I also love that the case features an internal speaker (which sounds surprisingly good) and a kickstand to prop the radio up at an angle for more convenient ergonomics. The finished case weighs 21.5 ounces, which is slightly more than the old case, but it is still very lightweight. I didn’t use the knobs that came with the case as I like my previous upgrades better, however, that is the only aspect of the case that wasn’t an improvement. This case is definitely worth the money and even though it is more than double the price of my old case the radio-case combination still costs well under $600.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *